Join Shades of Green Events in celebrating Earth Hour by switching all non-essential lights and appliances from 20:30 to 21:30 on Saturday. There is however no reason to twiddle your thumbs in the dark during Earth Hour this year.
Here are 10 fun things to do:
1. Play with sparklers. Take long-exposure photos of your efforts.
2. Play board games by candle light (using beeswax candles).
3. Get closer to nature and go star gazing. For the more energetic people moon dancing will be an option.
4. If you have kids, get out the camping gear and reminish about a time before electricity.
5. Play a REAL game of hide and seek.
6. Have a South African Braai with your friends (using sustainably harvested wood) or have a romantic dinner by candlelight with tasty dishes based on the WWF’s livewell principles. Download their dinner party guide. And while you’re at it, take advantage of the combined romance of candlelight and eco-chivalry to pop the question.
7. Have an acoustic music night – pull out the guitars and other music instruments. Remember to practise without looking at your hands.
8. Debate whether one hour can trigger social change.
9. Go to bed early. Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge. And maybe start a pool on whether there will be a baby spike in nine months.
10. Make streetlight shadow puppets (yes, the streetlights stay on, for safety).